Home  |  Gallery  |  Forum  Register  |  Sign In  

You are not logged in.

#1 2004-11-03 12:28:06

marvin

abstract art in modern times

"I believe abstract art is much needed today because of the horrible world we are living in. They say artists should document the historic moment, but what is there to document. By abstract art we are contributing to a world of silence, contemplative, and color where you are allowed, in fact, you are expected to travel thru your mind in which ever way you can imagine things. Abstract art gives us a place to dream, to rest, to meditate. Would like comments about his topic."

found this in an other forum. what do you think?

marvin

#2 2004-11-15 22:38:24

realist

Re: abstract art in modern times

nonsense.

Where does this abstraction originate? What tools do you engage mentally and physically to create an abstract artwork? Surely you should rely on the 'real' world to inspire your ideas. Or else appropriate other abstract artworks, or make art largely about yourself. So true abstract art leaves us with a) the self-indulgent self-expressions of an abstract artist, b) a copy of someone else's expressions from history. Does not leave me in a very contemplative mood whatsoever - except to momentarily contemplate "what's the point"?

And how dare an artist ignore the 'horrible' world in which we live. pointless lazy unimaginative uninspired art. Glancing at the sky in the middle of the day is far more revealing and beatiful than a man made abstract.

Abstraction can be useful when it begins to reduce our realities to their basic essense and perhaps expose possible truths about our world. But self referencial 'purity' of the object is just "so what".

x

This comment is about a certain type of hippy-shit absract art as described below but I can appreciate it is useful and communicative in other less pointless forms.
"contributing to a world of silence, contemplative, and color where you are allowed, in fact, you are expected to travel thru your mind in which ever way you can imagine things. Abstract art gives us a place to dream, to rest, to meditate"

#3 2005-05-27 11:31:51

_underscore

Re: abstract art in modern times

i'm sorry.  i'm a little lost.  i am not following your arguement. 
and can someone define 'abstract'?  (i'm not speaking from ignorance of the term, but from it's relativity.  it's so easily and quickly used in the public, that what is traditionally abstract, is abstract, a long with every other piece of artwork that someone doesn't understand the principles behind.)

"They say artists should document the historic moment, but what is there to document."

Was the original poster refering to the mass media that bombards everyone constantly, from ads, to misleading news reports, where every walking teeny bopper is a bilboard for the most recent fad?  If this is the case, then I agree with her/him.  What's the point of documenting history, when it's cluttered with half-truths, oppressing corporations, where the only thing that a newspaper or news reporter wishes to write/state is about the most recent slaying, who shot who, what bomb blew up where, a scandal, a rape, a drop in the economy, and whatever atrocity plagues the world at the moment. 

Honestly, between flashy bilboards, and mass produced prints of a dead artist or local artist appearing on posters and coffee mugs, I too something just want to take a break from drawing what I see (another relative word) and just smear color around, 'contributing to a world of silence, contemplative,..'.

Perhaps the poster isn't refering to a 'world' as in contributing to 'society', but to some other world?  Without knowing the entire context of the post, there isn't much to follow with.

What is 'a certain type of hippy-shit abstract art'?

Board footer